Yesterday I finally got around to paying the piper in regard to stitching up all the holes I created in my duck skins while degreasing them last week. The darning process added about an extra hour to the mount time, for the two ducks combined. Here’s some sewn up holes:
One of these Buffleheads was just about shot to bits; there was no leg bone to work with, a shattered wing bone, and buckshot in the beak. Plus, when I was skinning it I pulled too hard when I reached the neck area and just about tore the entire hood off the damned thing. Sewing that up yielded no results as the whole creature just looked more pathetic the farther I got. PLUS I must not have degreased him enough because my fingers kept getting oily as I worked. I don’t mind the finger oil (in fact it feels quite nice on my dry skin) but once I start transferring the oil from my fingers to the feathers on the exterior of the skin, they appear yellowed and dull. I could always proceed and then clean the feathers afterwards but that doesn’t mean the oil residue on the inside won’t bleed out through the skin eventually.
When good ducks go bad. Very, very bad:
I’m not sure how everything went SO WRONG on this one duck but I’m very thankful that all the mishaps were concentrated on him while the other one mounted so easily it was as though I were in a dream-state.
I positioned him on a hat (the 2nd for my Devon Horse Show series) and although he may look slightly unnatural, I wanted the wing to arc around the brim of the hat and frame the wearer’s face. I’m trying to achieve just the right balance between whimsy and realism.